Jim Leddy Named AARP Vermont State PresidentMONTPELIER, VT, February 1, 2008 – Former State Senator Jim Leddy has been appointed State President of AARP – Vermont, a volunteer position working closely with both staff and volunteers throughout the state to help AARP achieve its mission in Vermont. His responsibilities include serving as primary volunteer spokesperson, chairing the executive council, building networks and community partnerships and recruiting volunteers. Leddy takes over the position held by Nancy C. Lang since 2002. Lang has accepted the position of Regional Volunteer Director with AARP working with state offices throughout the Northeast. “We are very happy to have Jim Leddy on board representing the interests of our members across Vermont,” said Greg Marchildon, state director at AARP Vermont. “Jim has impressive credentials as a public servant and a leader in the Vermont Statehouse, and has been a strong advocate for Vermonters throughout his career.”A South Burlington resident, Leddy served eight years in the Vermont Senate where he chaired the Senate Health and Welfare Committee. He was lead sponsor and a key player in Vermont’s enactment of one of the country’s most significant proposals on health care reform. He previously served as executive director of the Howard Center for Human Service in Burlington from 1980 to 2000. Leddy also serves on AARP’s National Policy Council which is responsible for making annual public policy recommendations to the AARP Board of Directors.”AARP is an effective voice for the needs of older Americans and I look forward to working closely with the Vermont staff and volunteers to make a difference in the lives of fellow Vermonters,” said Leddy. AARP is a nonprofit, nonpartisan membership organization with 128,000 members in Vermont and 40 million members nationally. Through a wide array of special benefits, services, and information resources, AARP helps members make important choices, reach their goals and dreams, and make the most of life after 50. ###
Edmonton now has 24 points on the season and an 11-5-2 record, helping them maintain their division lead — for now.SN MAILBAG: Hall, Carlson and the 2020 NHL DraftHere are three takeaways from the victory.Alex Chiasson finds twineAfter an impressive 22-goal campaign in 2018-19 that saw Chiasson spend most of his time on the first line, the forward hasn’t found the same success to start 2019-20. Heading into Friday’s game, he was goalless with just three assists through the first 14 games of the season. However, he showed offensive prowess given the opportunity on Friday.The 29-year-old right wing played on the top-6 and was given time on the first power-play unit. That paid off as he assisted James Neal’s 12th goal of the season and also scored on the man advantage for his first goal since April 6.Chiasson has some tips for you. #LetsGoOilers pic.twitter.com/qDNS4cx04W— Edmonton Oilers (@EdmontonOilers) November 9, 2019Overall, he was playing with more aggression and speed in his game while getting to the scoring areas, using his 6-4, 208-pound frame to his advantage and screening the goaltender. His multi-point performance moves him to five points through 15 games and showcased what he can do when given more ice time, as he’s skated no more than 14:30 a night in eight of his last 10 games.Gaetan Haas ignites bottom-6Sent to Bakersfield after five games at the NHL level, Haas was called up a couple of weeks ago and appears to be finding his stride over this recent stretch here with a goal in two of his last three games. His first-ever NHL tally came on Nov. 4.The 27-year-old appears to be more confident of late, and is getting to those high-danger areas and battling in front of the net. That’s exactly how he ended up with his second NHL goal on Friday: beating out P.K. Subban in a net battle to deflect in a Matt Benning point shot.He Haas his 2nd in the @NHL! 💥 #LetsGoOilers pic.twitter.com/McMRq8cX7Y— Edmonton Oilers (@EdmontonOilers) November 9, 2019With him finding his stride and gaining some momentum, he should be able to help ignite more offense from the bottom-6, something the team desperately needs with the division getting even more intense moving forward. In addition, he and the fourth line, consisting of him, Markus Granlund and Patrick Russell, appears to be finding a lot more chemistry and cycling the puck well, while getting more gritty and involved on the forecheck.Mikko Koskinen shuts the doorKoskinen hasn’t been bad of late, having allowed at most three goals over his last five games and 11 total over that span. His strong play in net continued as he made 29 saves en route to a shutout victory, the fifth of his career. The Pacific Division race is growing tighter with the Calgary Flames tied for first and two points presenting the difference between first place and a wild card spot. The Edmonton Oilers don’t have a lot of breathing room left if they want to maintain their strong start to the season and stay in playoff position, but they showed that they’re not taking the foot off the gas with a solid showing in a 4-0 win over the New Jersey Devils on Friday.Leon Draisaitl scored yet again, his 14th of the season (second in the league behind David Pastrnak’s 15) and fifth goal in his last six games, which extended his home point streak to nine games. Mikko Koskinen also notched his first shutout of the season, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Joel Persson each picked up two assists and James Neal also got back on the scoresheet with his 12th of the season and first goal in three games. The Finnish netminder now has 2.18 GAA and .927 save percentage. His GAA now puts him in fifth (now ahead of teammate Mike Smith) among goaltenders with at least eight games played, and his .927 save percentage ranks eighth in that same regard (and is one point higher than his Oilers counterpart as well).NHL NEWS: Gary Bettman addresses OlympicsGiven Smith’s 2.22 GAA and .926 save percentage are nearly as good, Edmonton appears to have found stability in net and one of the league’s strongest tandems for the time being. If Koskinen can continue to dominate between the pipes, he could sway the Oilers to make him the starting goaltender. read more
Gafoors fireWithin a span of a few hours after reopening his bond, which was razed by a fire just four months ago, Abdool Sattaur Gafoor watched as the new bond went up in flames. Believing that there was nothing within the bond that could have started the fire, Gafoor has hired a private investigator to investigate the matter.The Chief Executive Officer of Gafoors on Thursday announced that an overseas-based private detective has been hired to work along with the Guyana Police Force, in finding out what started the fire.CEO Abdool Sattaur GafoorGafoor stated that based on the negative publicity that the second fire has brought on, he is confident that the private investigator will prove that it was not negligence that caused this disastrous fire.He explained that when the Gafoors Houston Complex was almost destroyed by the first blaze in May, it was due to the lack of fire prevention measures. However, this time around, he affirmed that all recommendations made by the Guyana Fire Service were adhered to and implemented.The company’s CEO expressed disappointment in the Chief Fire Officer’s remarks to the media earlier this week, saying “it’s the same crap… not enough diligence”.He stated that it was not “totally incorrect” that there were combustible items in the bond; explaining that there were a few cans of paint stored, “but it was not for commercial use, it was there to paint the building”.Gafoor added that after the first fire, the company had flown in an expert from the United Kingdom, who provided “practical solutions” to prevent the occurrence of another fire.He pointed out that despite what persons might think, he did everything within his power to prevent another fire and so it shocked him when he realised that in “just 10 hours after we opened the bond, it burnt down”.The most recent fire, he said, has placed a lot of financial strain on the company, noting that he feels disappointed and frustrated since he has always chosen to be at peace with everyone. He stated that he has treated all of his employees fairly, he has paid his taxes and he has opted to distance himself from politics.He is unable to understand what could have caused the fire. He lamented that all of his stocks for the Christmas season were destroyed, and that although he has insurance for the building and the stocks, he was not insured for the profits lost.Therefore, he stated that the Board of Directors has taken a decision to be acted upon in the event of a third fire, but he was not prepared to say what the decision was.“Within 64 years there has never been a fire,” he lamented.“It was literally impossible for it to take place,” he said, adding that Monday’s fire left him totally “lost for words”.“If you were in my place, what would you do if there was a third fire? It’s not that easy to start back again,” he said.Officer-in-Charge of Operations at the Guyana Fire Service, Compton Sparman has indicated that the department was also baffled by the fire since there was no electricity or any heat source to start the fire.He stated that the materials stored in the bond were tiles, white cement and a small amount of Christmas decorations.“So we want to know how it could propagate at that level. No electricity, if you look it is a bond that was constructed based on the last fire that they would have had. But because I think they cramp for space make they use the bond. No electricity, no form of heat source that dwells within, so we will have to dig deep. Nobody was inside,” he said, adding, “it started in Bond Six and confined in it. Now we have two vehicles with approximately 13 men working.” read more
Join Andy Goldstein and Darren Lewis for the best bits of Friday’s Sports Bar show.On today’s show, the boys reflect and take calls after Chelsea claimed their sixth league title, look at the back pages, plus there’s Keith Lemon, our resident ‘poet’ and the latest Catch Cundy.Listen above or click here to subscribe and download from iTunes.