Category: cofotjpy

Neighbourhood “buse-out” lands woman in court

first_imgA mother of three of East Ruimveldt Housing Scheme, Georgetown was hauled before Principal Magistrate Judy Latchman on Monday after she was accused of assault and throwing missiles at another woman during a neighbourhood argument.Omalita Grant denied all four charges when they were read to her in the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts.It is alleged that the 41-year-old woman used abusive language towards Abiola Holland on August 24, 2018 while she was in of East La Penitence, Georgetown.The fruit vendor was also accused of directing threatening language towards Holland on August 28, 2018 on two different occasions.The fourth charge alleged that on August 29, 2018, Grant threw missiles at Holland.According to facts presented to the court, on the days in question, the defendant used a series of profanities towards the woman before arming herself with a cutlass and threatened to “chop up” the Virtual Complainant (VC).Moreover, the woman then allegedly armed herself with glass bottles and threw them at the VC.Grant was released on $20,000 bail for each charge. The cases will continue on September 25, 2018.last_img read more

Read More »

1 dead, 3 missing in piracy attacks

first_img– Captain thrown overboard; 5 arrestedA fisherman is now dead and three others are missing following attacks on three boats by pirates on theSAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESSAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESSAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESSAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESCorentyne River on Friday evening.Dead is Hemchand Sookdeo, 45, also called “Dread” of Number 55 Village, Corentyne, Berbice, Region Six (East Berbice-Corentyne). His lifeless body was pulled from the muddy waters tangled in a fisherman’s seine on Saturday afternoon.Those missing are Dochan Sukra, 54, also called “Butcher” of Number 55 Village; Dhanpaul Rampaul of Number 67 Village; and “Boyo” (only name given).The Captain of one of the boats – Seepersaud Persaud, 43, of Corriverton – in which four fishermen were travelling, was rescued after being tossed into the Corentyne River.Divisional Commander, Assistant Commissioner Ian Amsterdam told Guyana Times that the Police have since locate a boat suspected to that belonging to the pirates at a koker at Number 65 Village and have since arrested five men.Meanwhile, the crew members of two other fishing vessels, which were also attacked on Friday night were said to be safe. Up to press time, they could come ashore since the tide was low.Reports indicate that the pirates attacked the vessels and in the process threw gasoline on the five crew members, threatening set them ablaze.The surviving captain told Guyana Times that there were five pirates but only three of them were masked. The men, he said, all carried cutlasses. According to him, the men approached his vessel and demanded that they hand over their catch. According to the Captain, he and his crew were forced into the pirates’ boat, which was anchored at the time.“When we deh ah drive to shore, they tie up two of me workman and they tell me fug throw over me wuk man an after me nah go throw them, he shove me over.”Recounting the ordeal, Persaud said he swam for three hours and reached another fishing boat and was rescued. He said that after he was rescued, the Number 66 Fishermen’s Co-op was contacted and a rescue boat was sent out for him.The attack on Persaud’s boat took place about five miles near Suriname waters.The boat which is valued at $6 million and powered by two 48 horsepower engines is still missing. The catch was valued at $120,000.Persaud, who has been in the fishing business for more than 15 years, said it was not the first time he was attacked by pirates. “I get attack plenty times but they never throw awe overboard before.”Meanwhile, the dead fisherman’s wife, Basmattie Sookdeo, said the father of four had previously been working on his sister’s boat but left and was making his first trip with Persaud. He left on Thursday and was expected to return on Sunday. She said that her husband has been a fisherman since the age of 15.According to his son, Tej Sookdeo, fishing was all his father could do. “All his life he is a fisherman. I know is a dangerous work and I always expect that something could happen,” he told this publication.Meanwhile, it was the third trip for Rampaul, whose main occupation is a cane harvester. The missing man’s wife told Guyana Times that because on some out of crop periods and no work available in the rice industry, Rampaul previously made two trips at sea in smaller vessels into waters that are not considered dangerous. This was his first deep water fishing trip.Meanwhile, Police have launched an investigation into the incident.“While ranks were investigating, they received additional information which gave a description of the boat involved and the amount of persons who were involved in the attack. As a result of that, we went to Number 65 foreshore where we saw a similar boat fitting the description. We arrested five persons who are in custody at this moment. Those persons are in custody and the boat is detained. We will be focusing to see whether we can restore the stolen articles which we know up to now is two 48 outboard engines. Based on that, we will conduct other raids to see if we can get information leading to the recovery of those engines,” Amsterdam explained told this newspaper.Investigations are ongoing.last_img read more

Read More »

SARU will drive away investors – Jagdeo warns

first_img…as agency targets high-rise buildingsThe latest decision by Government’s illegitimate anti-corruption body to scrutinise owners of high-rise buildings in the country has great potential to drive away investors, former President and Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo has warned.Director of the State Assets Recovery Unit (SARU) Dr Clive Thomas said the agency, which is currently without legal framework, is in the process of mapping all the high-rise buildings with the aim of investigating their owners for tax evasion and money laundering.According to media reports, Dr Thomas wants to ensure that the money used to construct the buildings was clean, that the building is not a shell company, that the owners are paying their taxes, that the building is not being used as a conduit for corrupt activities, and that even the land was lawfully obtained.Dr Thomas contended that there is an underground economy in Guyana and Government is hell-bent on identifying the individuals involved.He said once SARU, which will be renamed the State Assets Recovery Agency (SARA), gets it legal framework, it will spare no time in going after these individuals.But the Leader of the Opposition warned that such actions will destroy the country’s economy as it will act as a repellent to investors.“These loose mouthed people are damaging our economy,” he said, referring to Dr Thomas. “The business community and ordinary people operate on government signals. If the entire government speaks as if it hates investment and investors, and if you put up a building, you’ll be subjected to a whole range of scrutiny by the Government, then investors are just going to withdraw, no one will want to invest,” Jagdeo explained.He also contended that there is absolutely no logic in targeting high-rise buildings in trying to track down tax evaders and money launderers.“What’s the logic? Let’s assume you have one five-story building and another person have 50 one-story building… he’s going to map the one five-story building and you’re subjected to investigation and another person has 50 properties around the city, but you won’t be going after that person. What’s the logic?” he highlighted.The former President cautioned that businessmen and even the ordinary citizenry act on government signals, and if government gives the impression that it is against investment, then investors and the ordinary man will respond in accordance – by withholding their money.“Sometimes you can get everything right. but if the signals are wrong about your intent then people act on signals; investors do so, as well as ordinary citizens and so we. I don’t have much hope that they would listen because of the arrogance,” Jagdeo lamented.Reports indicate that SARU already did an inventory of over 100 buildings in Guyana.last_img read more

Read More »

City welcomes return of the living derby

first_imgJust before the match, there will be a march of the un-dead starting at 2 p.m. at the Arena.For more information on the Zombie Walk, please visit the event’s official Facebook page. Traditionally, one wouldn’t expect zombies to be co-ordinated enough for roller skates.Despite those preconceived notions, the Energetic City Roller Derby Association will be hosting the ‘Aurora Gory-alis’, a zombie style roller derby bout.- Advertisement -This event will be the Association’s first bout as a team in a battle against the Grande Prairie Crypt Keepers.The ‘undead’-themed event will take place at the North Peace Arena Saturday, August 13, starting at 4 p.m.The bout is family friendly and concessions will be available at the Arena…but brains are not on the menu. Non-perishable food bank donations will also be accepted at the arena.Tickets are $5 for anyone dressed as the living dead or $7 for survivors (non-zombie folk).Advertisementlast_img read more

Read More »

Conference to focus on bullying

first_imgOfficials from the Children’s Planning Council’s Service Planning Area 7 said bullying is a serious problem, with studies showing that between 15 percent and 25 percent of U.S. schoolchildren are bullied with some frequency. The issue was of such concern to a parent group in Whittier called Fuerza Unida that they organized a small anti-bullying seminar with SPA 7 officials last year in Montebello, said Cynthia Robledo, SPA 7 council coordinator. “They wanted to have a conference this year because their aim is to form more anti-bullying policies at all schools, and let schools know of the resources available to them when it comes to bullying,” Robledo said. Parents worry that different schools react differently to bullying issues, resulting in uneven discipline that can send mixed messages to students Robledo said. Of particular concern to local parents is the fact that some schools simply suspend the bully, with no follow-up action or counseling. “That isn’t always the appropriate thing to do,” Robledo said. MONTEBELLO – An anti-bullying conference for families this weekend will take on issues such as anger management and the use of myspace.com, organizers said. Sponsored by the Los Angeles County Children’s Planning Council, the Anti-Bullying/Cyber-Bullying Conference for Families will feature workshops covering issues such as self-esteem, discipline, depression, MySpace, as well as issues related to bullying. Participants will divide up into three age-appropriate groups – parents, elementary school children, and middle and high school students. The conference is free and open to everyone. Lunch will be provided. Child care for children 2 to 5 years old also will be provided. Parents “would like to see some official process for dealing with this disciplinary problem, such as a counseling session, or help with connecting children with counseling so they can understand what they’re doing is wrong,” she added. Parent workshops will be held in Spanish, with an English translator; youth workshops will be in English, with a Spanish translator available. For more information, call (323) 832-9400. tracy.garcia@sgvn.com (562) 698-0955 Ext. 3051160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Read More »

FashionBuzz © 2015 | All Rights Reserved Theme by Flythemes